Access, Reservations and Orientation
The Student Machine Shop is operated as a fully-supervised facility open to eligible users at times indicated on the On-line Reservation System.
Access is restricted and is open only for students actively registered in Mechanical Engineering who have undergone orientation and who have a valid insurance, i.e. Student Accident Insurance, WorkSafe BC coverage or similar. Student Accident Insurance policies are available from Mech reception in CEME 2054 for $7 (cash only) and are valid for 365 days.
To use the shop, you must book your use. You can do so in advance through the Reservation System. To create a reservation system account, go to the Reservation System login page ( http://ubcmechstudentmachineshop.brickhost.com/Web/? ) and click on Create an Account. Please enter only the minimum information required as this is not a secure site. Contact email@example.com if you have any concerns.
Note that all accounts are deleted on June 1st of each year, so returning students need to recreate their accounts annually.
Persons from outside of the Department are not eligible to make use of the Student Shop facilities, however they can submit work requests to Support Machining Services.
Eligible persons can use the Student Machine Shop facilities provided they successfully completed either Mech 220 or the Basic Shop Orientation requirements (below). Orientation to the facility is a requirement regardless of background or experience. Orientation to other shops does not fulfill the requirements for orientation to this facility.
MECH 220 Students
Students who are enrolled in or have completed MECH 220 are automatically oriented as part of the course. Incoming MECH 220 students should refer to the outline for the Machining Module of MECH 220 posted on the course Connect page for details on the steps needed to prepare for MECH 220 (you need to review material and write an online quiz and sign some papers prior to coming to the shop). Documents available for download here include the Student Machine Shop Handbook, the Acknowledgement of Risk, and the Waiver and Indemnification Agreement.
All Other Persons
Mandatory Shop Orientation Requirements:
- Participate in a 4 hour Shop Orientation
- Successful completion of the orientation quiz (administered through Connect*) based on the orientation and the Student Machine Shop Handbook.
- Completion and Submission of the Acknowledgement of Risk
- Proof of WorkSafeBC coverage or a Student Accident Insurance Policy. Note that most Graduate Research Assistants, all co-op and work-study students and all other employees of the university are considered to be university employees and are covered by WorkSafeBC insurance.
* Please ensure that you self-enroll in the e-learning Connect Course “MECH Student Machine Shop Training” (password is “mechsafety”) so that you can access the Student Machine Shop Orientation Quiz. If you have trouble with your CWL, please contact your supervisor. Note that the quiz has to be manually released to each individual once they have attended the shop orientation session so you will need to contact the shop lecturer, Markus Fengler, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Next Basic (Mandatory) Shop Orientation: Tuesday October 31st 9 am- 12 pm PM in Kaiser 1190. Please email email@example.com with the subject line “Shop Orientation” if you wish to attend either session.
The Next (optional) Water-jet Cutter Orientation: TBA