Please find all information on how to access our facilities, along with the necessary training and safety orientation materials on our Requesting Access page.
Asbestos may be present in the walls of Mechanical Engineering spaces. Accordingly, we endeavor to disturb the walls as little as possible and only by a facilities appointed professional. For lightweight objects, please use 3M Command Strip products, as they can be removed cleanly from the wall, without leaving marks or residue. "Picture hanging strips" are typically the most useful product.
For heavier objects and permanent installations, such as securing a bookshelf, please contact the facilities team to arrange for a zone carpenter to do the work. Please note that there may be a small charge, based on their hourly rate.
Tape lines are used for boundaries and to mark hazards. The Department's colour standards are:
- Yellow: Hazard boundary - do not cross without specific training
- Note: this is a UBC standard, and custodial staff will not cross a yellow line
- Yellow/Black stripe: Caution (e.g. trip hazards, bump hazards, stair edges)
- Green/White stripe: Safety Equipment Zone / Access Route - do not block (e.g. eyewash station, spill kits, fire equipment, first aid equipment)
- Orange: Boundary line - primary (e.g. multi-user space delineation, separating PPE requirement zones)
- Blue: Boundary line - secondary and administrative (e.g. equipment storage locations, boundaries within orange boundary areas, occasional use zones)
If a classroom is locked when it should be open, please call UBC Campus Security at 604-822-2222. As CEME lecture halls and classroom spaces are administrated by Enrollment Services instead of Mechanical Engineering, we are unable provide access to these rooms if they have been left locked.