Fasteners are currently available from MECH’s shop stores during Student Shop hours (typically 12:30 pm – 4:30 pm).
ECE Stores in MCLD 112b is setting up a supply of mechanical hardware items which all students in MECH and ECE will be able to access during regular business hours. Stay tuned!
ECE’s machine shop (MCLD ) has agreed to offer MECH access to its limited stock of fasteners during times when the MECH student Shop is closed. ECE shop hours are typically 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM daily.
There are 4 general options for getting materials::
- For small amounts, please look in the free scrap bin in the machine shop (near the Johnson vertical band saw). This is for Eligible Student Shop Users Only.
- Buy materials from our shop with a UBC Speed Chart code by coming to the Student Shop during open hours. Get the code from your faculty supervisor/instructor or student team captain. (Shop material prices can be found here.) This is for Eligible Student Shop Users Only.
- Order materials through ECE’s purchasing and receiving department.
- Order materials directly from a supplier such as Metal Supermarkets, Industrial Plastics and Paints, McMaster Carr, etc. (please follow the posted shipping procedure if you are having items shipped to the department).
- For small orders we let you tag your items onto our weekly McMaster order. Click the order button to submit your request. Please read the order form carefully – limitations apply.
***We do not sell materials for personal use or to persons from outside the department.***
The shop normally stocks the following:
Hardware – fasteners etc..
C1018 sheets 24 gauge to 12 gauge, plates 1/8″ – 1/2″, 12″ x 12″, 12″ x24″, “24” x 48″
plate 3/16″- 1/2″ thick 12″ x 12″, 12″ x24″, “24” x 48″
rounds 1/4″ dia – 5″ dia. x 12″ lengths
5052-H32 sheets 24 ga. – 12 ga. 12″ x 12″, 12″ x24″, “24” x 48″ (good for bending)
music wire (spring temper) 0.009″ dia to 0.080″ dia x 12″ lengths
spring steel (stainless annealed PH17-7) strip form ~2″ widths, thicknesses 0.032″ – 0.09″(heat treating oven is available in shop)
sheet 1/16″- 1/2″ thick 12″ x 12″, 12″ x24″, “24” x 48″
sheet 1/4″- 1/2″ thick 12″ x 12″, 12″ x24″, “24” x 48″
rounds 1/4″ dia. – 2″ dia. x 12″ lengths
fir structural grade plywood
1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″ – 24″x 24″, 24″x48″